All Is Well in Sunyani



Nov. 6, 2017

Sounds Like another fun Halloween for everyone back home. As for me I had our Mission tour on Halloween and it was amazing! Elder Kacher of the seventy came to speak with us. He went over many things about mostly or what I really remember is that "we need to understand that no one understands". In other words no one knows really what the LDS church really is (most of the time). It is a new language, different culture, and overall a different way of life. So if you where put into this new way of life and no one helped you learn it after you were Baptized would you want to stay... or go back to the world you knew and seemed to be somebody?  It all plays off a talk that President Gordon B. Hinckley gave awhile ago. Overall it was and amazing Mission Tour and made me realize how different our way of life or church is to the world. I learned We can not just bring people to the church but we have to fellowship them to the church otherwise they will never stay.
Anyway That is my insight for this week hope all goes well back there in the good U.S.A or wherever you get this.
Sincerely, 
Elder Barnum


Nov. 13, 2017

Nov. 20th, 2017

Wow 8 months already sssaaaaa (wow) that is crazy but time it is truly just  flying by. I can look back now and see how far i have truly come. It is amazing to see the difference.
Anyhow, me and some elders including my companion Elder Dennis are planning on doing our own Thanksgiving celebration. We are going to have Pizza from some guy who used to cook in the UK (potential investigator ) who delivers! Also snack and drinks we are going all out sense it will be only us which means about 6 Elders. It should be a ball.
As for Investigators we have continued to go out with Maxwell and we also were able to have two new investigators come to church. They are two women who actually work at a bar so..... The word of wisdom lesson we are still working on but they are progressing.
I just truly love Sunyani Zone! The weather has been nice and the people are amazing. I hope I stay here another transfer. well love you guys. And stay classy San Diego. 
Love,
Elder Barnum

Nov. 27th, 2017

Sounds like you guys had a blast. I did also. We ordered 5 pizzas and paid and arm and a leg for them but it was so worth it. Thanksgivings consisted of Pringles, lemonade, and pizza, with fake ice cream for dessert.  After all of that we all stood up sang a couple of Disney songs and said the things we whee thankful for.
I am so grateful for this opportunity to serve and to spread this gospel. I am thankful for my family friends that care about me so much. 
Currently for this week we have been focusing on three sister named Ester, Odebt, and Docus. they are all amazing but the funny thing is the one who keeps all her commitments is the youngest who us 12 (her name is Docus). sometimes we well walk by her house and she will call us in just to teach her or so that we can answer her questions. she is so funny she has plans to be a Lawyer and is currently reading collage books abut law that her oldest brother owns.
So I am sorry to cut this short but I have no time. I have to go to Family home evening and chop Fufu
Love,
Elder Barnum

Dec. 5th, 2017

So sorry about yesterday folks. There was a big problem with the internet company here in Sunyani so every single internet place was closed.... you should have seen all the missionaries here. We were all so grumpy the entire day because we did not get to email.  But now I get to email even if it only for a couple minutes it is nice to know everyone is doing good back home... or wherever you are. Sadly not a ton of time so I am going to have to make this short.
First I am still healthy here in Sunyani and am still really loving my area and companion Elder Dennis. Second it is the Christmas season and sadly not many decorations or lights around but I just love being able to say happy holidays to all the people. Finally I just want to thank everyone for the emails this week. Sadly I cant respond because of time but know I really appreciate you all. It truly makes my week that much better.
I love all you guys and wish you the best. HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
Sincerely,
Elder Barnum


Someone made cake and gave us the scraps but said we needed to eat it with our hands.... like that was going to stop us.

Dec. 11th, 2017

Sooo to answer your question, My faith has grown a lot. In Scriptures, in the church, and in Myself. I know why I am called here I know why we need the book of Mormon and especially the Atonement. So I am not going to complain at all because I learned that some people need to find their testimony first rather just lean on others. I do know that I want the kids that I teach to explain their testimony to me and how they are going to help it grow.
Anyhow I have been reading a lot about Samson in the Bible recently and man that guy is crazy! He took on like a entire army with the jawbone of and donkey. Also in the Book of Mormon I am rereading Ether and studying the faith that the Brother of Jared had. Did you know that is the only account in all of scripture of someone moving a mountain with faith is in Ether by the Brother of Jared? I have been teaching Young Mens the last couple of week and we have been focusing on faith. So I recently asked them if they thought the could move a mountain with Faith and only one said yes. His answer really got me tho. He said "I know i can move a mountain and I have faith I can do it... It just would take a while but I have the faith that I could do it. We can always expect some miracle to happen but truly we do not need something crazy to happen for it to be a miracle. 
So that is my little spiritual thought for you. STAY GREAT!
love,
Elder Barnum




Dec. 17th, 2017

So it looks like i am going to be spending another 6 weeks in Fiapre. At least I get to stay with my amazing son/ companion Elder Dennis! I do really enjoy being with him. But it is strange that I have been here for almost a year and I have only been in two places. Well maybe not. Pres. Cosgrave said that he knows that I can continue to thrive in places even after being there for long periods of time. Most elders die/ get lazy if they stay in and area for to long.
Other than that not to much news here. Me and Elder Dennis found a Christmas tree for our apartment so we are enjoying that. We also had a small performance that you can see if you haven't already on the Facebook page for our mission. I think you guys will really like it haha.

***Check it out here: Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree

Now for a good story. Last week we were walking to are area just like every day. When we greeted this man walking past us because it is culture to say hello to everyone you meet. As we walked past him he stopped us and said "I have some questions about the first vision. Or is that the part of the Jehovah Witnesses belief ?" We quickly told him no it is not a part of their belief and began discussing the fist vision in great detail. It turns out that he had been taught 4 years prior and then moved and lost contact with the Missionaries. So now we are teaching Philip again (that is his name by the way) and he is really progressing I believe if we give it another couple of weeks he will be ready for baptism. 
This Reminds of the story in Doctrine and Covenants when there are Missionaries going speedy down the river trying to get somewhere but where not really focusing on the people around them. It was not until the Lord told them that they need not move so speedily when there are so many people around us waiting to hear the Gospel. I hope we are all able to open our eyes this Christmas season and not miss those people that have been waiting but are just not sure what for yet.
Sincerely,
Elder Barnum

Pic of Me and Elder Dennis cleaning the chapel because the people who where painting and sanding did not clean anything and church started the next morning at 9 AM





Dec. 25th, 2017



Jan. 8th 2018

It has been such a long time since I have been hiking just for fun. I actually go hiking almost everyday through the jungle to teach several people but it is never a just for fun thing.
Sadly this week was very slow for us but we are not letting it get us down. recently went to go see a sister named Vivian and her mom. Sadly she wasn't there and we felt super discouraged because we had just hiked 3 miles to get to her.... AND SHE WASN'T EVEN THERE! 3 MILES! Man I was ticked. For those who have seen me mad you know how I look but those who do not you can imagine Hades when he gets mad in Hercules and then you got the picture (might be exaggerating a bit).  Anyway I was ready to just go home and call it a day but we ended up staying for a while and then the mother came. We ended up teaching here and Vivian's sister lesson 1 and it went super well! They fed us so I wasn't hangry anymore and they said the will try to come to church. This just shows me that God never wants us to suffer. He is always watching and trying to help us. Sometimes he just does other times He wants us to remember him and ask.
I hope you enjoyed the legends of Elder Barnum this week. I also thank everyone for all of there support you have show and given me.
Sincerely,
Elder Barnum


Jan 15th, 2018


Sup from Ghana! Seems like all is going great back home. Can't lie I have been really nervous for all you guys and Tim but it is good to know all is well. Also Layla at the Temple! I swear she is to young for that.
As for this week we have a Zone conference so I am looking forward to that it also means that my time in Sunyani is almost up. I have about 2 weeks more here so yikes. But for last week we have been doing great. We were able to contact a sister that only spoke Twi. Luckily we went out with our Ward Mission Leader so it all went great. It was funny how we met her. We were just on our way home and I felt we should rest for just a second so we stop and then it was like we where in a movie or something when a breeze came out of nowhere and blew up some laundry and I saw this women just sitting on the other side just listening to the radio. It was crazy how strong the feeling was to go over and talk to her. Soooo ya definitely can see the promptings of the Holy Ghost in that one. Even if it was awkward at first because I had almost no idea what she was saying. Haha
Love,
Elder Barnum

Found a drum set to play

Elder Barnum & Emmanuel (member)

Comments